The Pembroke Yeomanry
LT-COL. R. L. HOWELL, M.B.E., T.D.
Part 3 – The 1800’s
Throughout the long period of war that followed, the threat of invasion remained until Lord Nelson’s victory off Trafalgar in 1805 destroyed the means. In 1803 there were eight Troops of Yeomanry in Pembrokeshire, mustering 498 men, and including the five Troops of the Independent Pembrokeshire Yeomanry Cavalry commanded by Sir Hugh Owen of Orielton. They performed vidette duty on the coasts, and provided the mounted orderlies to fire the warning beacons on the Presely Hills should the French land again. With the death of Sir Hugh Owen in 1809, his regiment gradually ceased to exist. The Castlemartin Yeomanry had raised two Troops which remained, the Dungleddy Yeomanry added the Picton Troop in 1819. Both Troops were called out in May, 1820, for two days to suppress riots in Haverfordwest, and in 1821 the Picton Troop escorted King George IV through Pembrokeshire. In 1808 the Castlemartin Troops had mounted guard when the 38-gun frigate ‘Leda’ was wrecked off the entrance to Milford Haven. In January, 1827, they rode again to Fishguard to disperse a mob collected to prevent the shipping of a cargo of corn, and in July they provided an escort for the Duke and Duchess of Clarence when they visited Pembroke Dockyard. On the 5th December 1827, all Yeomanry in Pembrokeshire was ordered to disband. The two Castlemartin Troops did not disband. Commanded by Captain George Bowling, they obtained authority from Lord Lansdowne to continue in being without pay, retaining their exemption from Militia Ballot and Horse Duty, and in 1830 were still returning their full strength of 88. When rioting broke out all over the Kingdomtowards the end of that year, they were the only Yeomanry remaining in West Wales. In January, 1831, their pay and allowances were restored to them, and early in 1833 a third Troop was raised in the Hundred of Roose by William Charles Allen Phillips, Esquire, of St.Bride’s. It was not until 1839 that the Rebecca, or Turnpike Riots began in Pembrokeshire, two Troops riding to Tavernspite to maintain order during the trial of those concerned in the destruction of the Efailwen toll gate on the Cardigan to Narberth road. As the riots spread, the Yeomanry was called to the assistance of neighbouring Counties. In the winter of 1842 they were sent to St. Clears, in Carmarthenshire, being on duty there by alternate Troops of about 50 men each for 25 days. In 1843 the situation had become so serious that Regular Forces were sent, all three Troops of Yeomanry being called out for service with them for 26 days in February and March. In June they were called out once more, sending the Pembroke Troop to Narberth, the Castlemartin Troop to St. Clears, and the Haverfordwest Troop to Lampeter. From then until the movement collapsed in November they were out almost continuously, engaged in patrolling, guard duties and even skirmishing, relieving each other in relays to attend to the work on their farms. In all they completed nearly 200 days on duty in the space of two years
There followed 50 years of comparative inactivity. Pembroke Dock had assumed great importance, as can be seen from the many forts built in this period to defend it, and there were many occasions when the Yeomanry furnished escorts to members of the Royal Family coming there to launch new ships. They were mustered in 1848, when Queen Victoria visited Milford Haven in the Royal Yacht. In 1865 they provided an escort for Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught; in 1882 for the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh; in 1891 for the Duke and Duchess of Connaught, and in 1899 for the Duke of Connaught and the Duchess of York. When the Duke of Cambridge had inspected the Milford Haven Defences in 1894, they had furnished a travelling escort of 12 men. They had grown in strength, a fourth Troop having been raised in the North Eastern and Dungleddy districts by Captain Erasmus Gower in 1871, the Regiment being reformed into two Squadrons in 1893. In that year their establishment allowed 219 all ranks, including 15 commissioned officers, and they formed their own band. Their uniform had become very resplendent dark blue overalls with a white stripe; dark blue jacket with white collar and cuffs, braided across the chest with white cord; a black Hussar busby with a whiteover-red brush. Where the men wore white, the officers wore silver cord or lace. They had a reputation for their horses, and for their musketry. In 1890 they had won the inter-regimental challenge cup with 40 regiments competing; in 1896 they came 4th, and 2nd in 1899. In 1896 the enrolled strength was 206, 129 owning their own horses, 15 riding those of relatives.